St. Patrick's Day is a yearly celebration of Irish culture and history and is observed every year on March 17th. Many people celebrate St. Patrick's Day by making Corned Beef and Cabbage and Irish Soda Bread.
Irish Soda Bread
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 Teaspoons kosher salt
4 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 3/4 cups cold buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 Teaspoon grated orange zest
1 cup dried currants mixed with 1 Tablespoon of flour
- Preheat Oven to 375, line sheet pan with parchment paper
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in bowl of electric mixer. Add butter and mix on low speed until butter is mixed int the flour mixture
- With fork lightly beat buttermilk, egg, and orange zest. Slowly add to flour mixture.
- Mix currants and 1 tablespoon flour into mixture, it will be very wet.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead into a round loaf, Place loaf on lined making sheet, and lightly cut an "X" into the top of the loaf.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a tooth pick or knife comes out clean. Loaf should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.